Friday, January 24, 2014

Profit vs. Poverty


Weary and heavy laden I sat down on my couch quite discouraged by what the week in front of me held.  I had a list that seemed a mile long of deadlines that needed met and medical appointments that I was afraid to attend. Not to mention a dreadful head cold.   The more that I rattled on the list to my husband, the more pressure I felt placed upon my shoulders with each word I spoke.  My lips were defeating me before I ever got up to run.  All of the sudden it occurred to me how much time I was wasting talking about what I had to get done, instead of just getting it done!  At that moment I stood up, excused myself from the conversation and got busy on my pile of necessary work.  As I rolled my sleeves up and began addressing one task at a time, I found myself gaining momentum, courage and strength.  Lightheartedness began to replace the heavy hopeless heart that had gravitated me to the couch earlier.  The same tasks before me remained, as did the same appointments and schedule.  In fact the head cold and fatigue remained as well.  God did not change my circumstance one bit, yet my soul found rest in the Lord by stepping out on the biblical principle taught to us in proverbs 14:23 “In all labor there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only toward penury.”  Talking about all my roles and responsibilities was only causing poverty in my life.  I literally wasn’t using the time I had been given to complete the tasks of the day and I was causing poverty to my soul as I robbed it of victory and hope.  But as I quit talking and started laboring profit was brought as my list was shortened with each accomplished task. Order and clarity came as I worked and my heart profited from overcoming in Christ through faith in his word rather than how I felt.  Truly we can trust Jesus when he beckons us in Mathew 11:28-30 “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  As we come unto the Lord he will give us the wisdom to prioritize what truly needs done each day.  It may stretch us or feel like too much, but it never will be because God is good and faithful and will never give us more than we can handle as we depend on him.  “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth  me.” Philippians 4:13.  We can fully trust God without hesitation and welcome his yoke upon our lives.  As we learn his ways and walk in them by faith we will truly find rest for our souls.  What an amazing God whose word transcends time and circumstance to bring rest to the weary soul.  If you know Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior, turn to him now, except his yoke, learn his ways, know his heart and find rest for your weary soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment