Thursday, September 1, 2011

Purpose from Pain

Trials act as riverbanks which guide the powerful spirit that God has placed within us.  Without difficulties to test the prioritization of our lives, our efforts may leave us standing in the stagnant, lifeless waters of vain pursuits.  Instead we are gifted with circumstantial dams and riverbanks that limit our ability, yet strengthen Christ’s work in and through us.  For just as we harness power from an open dam; we are the most productive when harnessed by a loving God.
A dam without water released through it becomes stagnant, lifeless and contaminated; useless for work and destructive as it spills over into unwelcomed places.  A river poured through the presence of a dam becomes powerful and vital, bringing life and sustenance to those who welcome its efforts. So to, a soul confined by a trial can become stagnant and useless; yet a soul filled with Christ himself poured through the dam of a trial has great power and usefulness to bless others.  It has been in my own trials that Christ has proved himself strong when I was weak and in total control when my live was falling apart.  It was only after all the things in my life that I believed defined me and made me strong had  been atrophied from my life that I realized the true power and peace that God poured into and through me  in weakness.
Better than silver, better than gold, better than health, better than control, is being used by Christ to bring his glory to others despite my weakness and in some cases because of my weakness.  It has been during these times of trial that I finally understand why the apostle Paul would glory in his weaknesses. For it is often times when the world deems us useless for its purposes that we are the perfect candidates for usefulness in Christ and for Christ.  It is when I die to my own pursuits that I can live to fulfill the good deeds that Chris places before me each day of my life.  It is at this point that I can choose to faithfully trust that God has given me ALL that I need to pursue godliness.  Whether sick or healthy, brilliant or simple, fatigued or energized my God is on the throne directing my life’s purpose and giving me every ounce of physical, emotional and spiritual strength needed to complete HIS will for my life.  Daily, I need to use to the glory of God everything that he places in my hands and remain steadfast in thankfulness despite days of perceived insufficiency. If at times I am lacking in health or finances or energy then it is not a necessary tool to complete Gods will for that day. 
 Each day presents the choice to accept the entire will of God for our lives, both pleasant and difficult and allow him to produce good fruit during it all. Conversely, the other option is to choose to allow our lives to stagnate and become useless for glory behind the dam of a trial.  Trials will come.  Will they produce power or bitterness in your life?  The Lord has left the choice up to every believer to decide whether the trials that come will bless or brake, strengthen or shatter, define or destroy our lives purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment